Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What I'm Reading Right Now

Assalamu alaikum,

I placed a request for this book over six months ago.


Alhamdulillah, it arrived over the weekend and I dove right in. I am a teacher who follows (not strictly) the Montessori method of educating children, however, I am not closed to the insights and practices of other schools of thought. I'm curious to see what Classical Education has to offer, how it is structured and the idea behind it. It appears to be geared toward homeschooling parents and since I am a strong supporter of homeschooling, I hope to continue learning about education at home insha'Allah.

With 782 pages (not including the index), I think I'll be between the pages of this book for some time but I hope I won't be disappointed. So far..hmm...I've skipped over the shirk and mythology references. I get so disheartened sometimes that Muslims have not authored key works addressing the topic of educating children - it's so important subhana'Allah. Or have they? Maybe these books by Muslim authors are out there and I just haven't come across them yet. Is that the case?

When I've read more insha'Allah, I'll come back and tell you more about the book. But perhaps you've read this book? If so, I'd like to know what you thought of it and if you use the Classical Education model in your homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment