Thursday, August 19, 2010

Storytime: Have You Seen Birds?

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته


Today we read, Have You Seen Birds? by Joanne Oppenheim



This book caught my attention at the library because of the illustrations. I recognized Barbara Reid's work and this caused me to check the book out. The story exposes children to the wonderful array of different types of birds that Allah has Created and through rhyme and verse, it teaches children some of the unique behaviours of each bird.

I was told, perhaps last week, that Ibn Taymiyyah - rahimullah - said that we should not imitate the sounds that animals make. I have not yet located this information but to be safe, I have discontinued reading/making the sounds of animals that are in stories. Alhamdulillah, this book only has that appear once or twice and it's easy to simply read past it and not make the sound (in this case it was the sound the owl makes).

Overall, this is a fun book with delightful illustrations and children might enjoy the bouncy verses that teach them about yet another of Allah's stunning Creations. You can find this book on Amazon for a penny! So...I think I'll order a copy insha'Allah and then just cover over the two spots where the owl sound is shown. This way there is no chance of a child accidentally reading the sound insha'Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment